Can exchange be used as an individual/developer?

I’m developing a trading bot for my personal use. I’ve started with the exchange sandbox (as developing in a sandbox is a lot safer then debugging with live data/funds!). Now I’m ready to start testing with a live account and I’m finding that exchange.coinbase.com is for institutions/businesses. As an individual user, can create an exchange account?

Now that I’m researching the different account types, it seems like perhaps I should be using the Advanced trade API. But I see no sandbox via that API. Also, the non-exchange coinbase (https://www.coinbase.com/advanced-trade) doesn’t seem to have the concept of portfolios. Portfolios are an excellent feature that I was planning on using to segregate my various trading strategies.

Hi @ultim8, Welcome to the Forum Community.

1. To begin with - Our Exchange and Advanced API offer similar functions but are designed for different products and users.
  • The Coinbase Exchange API is for our Institutional customers who want to trade directly on Coinbase Exchange.

• The Advanced API is for API developers who want to utilize advanced trading functions via Coinbase.com. You can also set up third-party trading bots or integrate this API with your service.

1. On Sandboxes for Advanced Trade - As of now, we do not have a Sandbox environment for Advance Trade. Rest assured, this is on our roadmap.

2. Please note Advanced Trade API does supports trading in multiple portfolios . More details here.

We hope this helps. We’d be happy to answer any more questions.

Thank you and have a nice day!