Portfolios and/or Sandbox for Advanced Trade API

Testing and developing for the new Advanced Trade API is a bit anxiety inducing since you have to use real money and create real tax implications with code that may have mistakes. Getting a sandbox API would help with this.

I think I speak for many when I say portfolios will be dearly missed from the Pro exchange for multiple reasons.

But for myself, portfolios could also help with development in lack of a sandbox. If I could add another portfolio, I would only have to risk say, $50 on untested code, instead of literally all my funds when it gets transferred from Pro next year.

Also, I’m building software that largely takes full control of my account. I want to run that software on a different portfolio so I don’t have to risk all my money and effectively lock up my account. I also want to continue developing that software while I’m using it, but I can’t do both on one account. I need either a sandbox, or an extra portfolio or development will freeze when I start using my software.

It would also be nice to have multiple portfolios so that once I think my software is stable, I can test it on a smaller account with real money. The sandbox API for Pro never reflected the real world very well, and if no one else was using it, it was effectively useless as there was no one to trade against.

totally agree, sandbox is the most powerful feature of pro exchange api

I am a +1 for Sandbox and Portfolios. I have had my own “bot” running against Coinbase Pro API using the dougdellolio/coinbasepro-csharp library for a couple of years and I’m just starting the process of migrating. That library isn’t going to support AT, so I’m stuck with having to write my own. Sure, I can mock the API calls during my tests, but having a sandbox to develop against, one which is generating moderately realistic realtime trading data, would be ideal as any mistake in my mocks would be reflected in my integration code and end up in production! I was making good use of the Pro sandbox, despite its’ lack of use - at least it was able to provide realistic responses and had a websocket feed. Although, the sandbox has recently become unusable with some bot generatign thousands of “0.0001 BTC” trades a minute. Now none of my orders are being accepted and my hand is forced to migrate to AT because I can no longer test. If that sandbox DDoS-Bot is coinbase’s doing - then clap clap - it’s having the desired affect of forcing people to migrate - would have just been better to turn the Pro sandbox off, then at least we’d have had a taster of what to expect moving to AT!

And don’t get me started on lack of portfolios. I found them really useful, especially when i called them “By the Dip” and “Buy the Double-dip” - I could track a subset of my Positions I opened during those times :smiley: I guess I’ll just have to build that into my app!

Is there any news on the sandbox for the AT API??? I would love to have confidence when we roll out. I’m a developer for an institutional client and without a testnet (something better than the non-working sandbox now), my confidence is shaken. We will likely expand to another exchange, but the candidates are getting thin…

I completely understand, fewer staff… we are all dealing with it in crypto. But, paper trading is necessary for our tests.

Thanks! Keep up the good fight. Please provide a paper trading/testnet!

1 Like

Do they really not have a sandbox yet for the V3 API urls?