User Experience Feedback on Coinbase's Advanced API

I was a user of Coinbase Pro. The ease of use of that API was impressive. I took a break during Coinbase’s transition away from Pro. I’ve come back to find significant difficulties in getting started. This has raised concerns for me about the feasibility of development within this ecosystem.

When you’re in the Advanced Trading Platform, the logical flow to get to the API keys is to click More > Advanced API. The link redirects to Coinbase Advanced Trade API. It always asks me to log in, then redirects me to Coinbase Cloud. This issue persists across multiple browsers (Firefox and Edge). The Advanced API where I can manage Advanced API keys, not in the Cloud product.

The process to create an API key is inconsistent. Despite selecting “all” for accounts and permissions, the system defaults back to only the BTC Wallet after 2FA verification, suggesting a bug. I found that if I select only one Permission, it will let me create the key.

The provided Python API code examples are incomplete and not user-friendly, lacking essential details. This forces users to seek help on forums, which is inefficient and frustrating. I think I’ve figured out how to go through the auth flow only to find that I have a scope error. How do I know which scope I need to call the v3 brokerage/products endpoint?

I’m investigating alternative providers at this point because I do not have confidence in this platform. It would be beneficial if the development team could re-examine the user journey through your API offerings. Perhaps having a new team member navigate the process could provide fresh insights into the user experience challenges and areas for improvement.

Hi @Matt! Welcome to the forum community!
Thank you for taking the time to provide us with feedback!
We’ve logged your feedback about API key creation flow with our internal teams so we can continue improving our user experience. Most new features and improvements to our products come directly from feedback like yours, so it’s very valuable to us. While we can’t offer any specific timeline for adding features, we are constantly working to build products our customers will love.

For v3 brokerage/products endpoint you can use the wallet:user:read scope: For more details, you can refer the list available for scopes in documentation here: Advanced Trade REST API Overview | Coinbase Cloud .

For the Python Code examples can you share what other information/details it should have for better user experience? We will try to share it with our team.

If you want to stay up to date on the latest from Coinbase Cloud, you can also bookmark the following webpage and subscribe to email updates at the bottom of the page: https://www.coinbase.com/cloud/discover
We hope this is helpful, and please let us know if you have any other questions.