Trouble with API Key Authentication for Motivewave

Hi Coinbase Support and Community,

I’m reaching out for assistance with an API authentication issue I’m encountering. I’m trying to connect my Coinbase Advanced Trade account to MotiveWave, a trading platform that offers in-depth market analysis and direct trading capabilities. MotiveWave has two options for connecting to Coinbase: “Coinbase” and “Coinbase Pro.”

The problem I’m facing is a persistent “Invalid Credentials” error with both connection options, even though I’ve carefully entered the API key and secret. Here are some specifics:

• API Key and Secret: I’ve made sure both were copied correctly from my Coinbase Advanced Trade account settings without any extra spaces or alterations.
  • Passphrase: The “Coinbase Pro” connection option in MotiveWave asks for a passphrase. Since the Coinbase Advanced Trade API setup did not provide a passphrase, I left this field blank when attempting to use the “Coinbase Pro” option.
  • Secret Key Format: The secret key from Coinbase is in a multi-line PEM format. I formatted this into a single line when entering it into MotiveWave, following some available documentation.

I’m seeking advice on:

• The proper formatting for the PEM-encoded secret key for use with platforms like MotiveWave.
  • How to proceed with the passphrase field in MotiveWave’s “Coinbase Pro” connection setup, considering Coinbase Advanced Trade does not provide a passphrase.
  • Any known compatibility issues or additional configurations needed when integrating Coinbase Advanced Trade with MotiveWave.

I appreciate any help or insights the community or Coinbase support can offer to resolve this “Invalid Credentials” issue. Your guidance is invaluable.

Any help would be greatly appreciated - thank you in advance!!

Coinbase Pro is deprecated, you can not get API keys for it! That also means you can not use “Coinbase Pro” option in MotiveWave.

1 Like

Yup, I was just trying out everything to see if something would work.

Per MotiveWave release notes - they added support for coinbase advanced in version 6.7.5 but when making a selection for connections, the options are coinbase or coinbase pro.

Coinbase is Coinbase Advanced, no? Before that most likely only option was Coinbase Pro.

And based on release date you are interested in legacy API keys: