Can't Enable API Key

Hello everyone, I am developing the code for trading with “Advanced Trade API”
For few days I was able to obtain balances using recently created API key (I was using https://api.pro.coinbase.com/accounts/ endpoint)

Then today, suddenly, for the same request, using same API/Secret keys I’ve received “Invalid API Key” message.

Hmm, I’ve decided to re-generate the key.

Once the key is generated, it is marked as “Disabled”.
The “Enable” link, though present, is not applicable, “greyed out”

Can anyone please tell me what am I doing wrong? Or anything I need to do to enable my new key?
(I do apologize if the answer to that was already posted, I just was not able to find it, please point to it)

Thanks in advance.

Hello @nomadicus! Welcome to the forum community.

We would like to let you know that for security measures, API keys are sometimes disabled for 48 hours upon creation. This is a security measure that helps prevent any unauthorised access to your account as API keys can give third parties access to not only read your data, but create transactions with your balances and payment methods. At this time, there is no way for us to expedite this process or remove this feature from your account.

Also, the endpoint you were using (https://api.pro.coinbase.com/accounts/) is of Coinbase Pro, which is being deprecated and we would recommend you to use Advance Trade APIs. You may look at this List Accounts endpoint of Advance Trade API.

We hope this helps. We’d be happy to answer any more questions.

Thank you, and have a great day ahead!

@rishabh Thank you very much for your prompt answer

Hey @nomadicus, Apologies for delayed response.

We have identified it to be a bug & the team is looking out into this issue. We appreciate the patience while working on this.

Thank you and have a good day!

Is this still an issue as I cannot enable my API credentials either. I understand the security aspects and believe it is the correct thing to do. However, 48 hrs is a long time (especially in the crypto trading world :slight_smile: ) and the ability to “enable” the credentials earlier I’m sure would be much appreciated.

Can we please have the ‘enable’ button shown by default? Waiting 48 hours for the Key is way too long

Or how about if the user selects all the permissions EXCEPT for withdraw / deposit etc… it is able to enable after creation?

Hey @DHILL @vehn , Coinbase requires a 48-hour wait period on the API key created on a new device. This is a security measure that helps prevent any unauthorised access to your account. At this time, there is no way for us to expedite this process or remove this feature from your account.

We appreciate your understanding. Thank you!

Understood. However, whenever I use my “device” it doesn’t recognise it and thinks it a new one :slight_smile: but I guess I’ll have to live with that if there is nothing you can do.

Surely though, if you have an option to enable and disable (i assume) the API then after the rigorous 2/3/4 factor authorisation to get into the account it should be known that I am in fact the account holder and therefore should be able to enable / disable at will. This being said I understand the security aspect but it creates a barrier when wanting to connect a 3rd party application to the API in order to use Coinbase. As said previously 48 hrs is a hell of a long time in the trading business when one relies on speed to make trades and use other tools.

Again just something I’m thinking could be revisited as not being aware of this I have felt a bit annoyed I couldn’t get it done sooner.

Thanks for the reply