[Bug] Coinbase accounts API should return historic vault data

Hello,

I was attempting to use the API to pull old transactions for a deleted vault associated with my account. I can still see the vault history in the browser (coinbase.com/accounts/the-vault-id-here) but I’m not able to pull the transaction history via the API. I think this historical information should still come down via the API, especially if something like staking was enabled for the vault.

To reproduce:

1. Create a vault
  2. Transfer some of the currency in (and still gain staking rewards in the vault)

(the API will return the vault)

1. Transfer the currency out (including the additional rewards from staking)
  2. Delete the vault

(the API no longer returns the vault so this historic information is lost)

Suggested fixs:

1. Perhaps the API can return the vault as an account but with a new field marking at as “deleted” and “read-only”?

OR

1. The API returns the vault as an account like it used to. If someone tried to do a write operation to that account (e.g. transfer assets to it) it would return an error.

Why I think this is a bug:

I noticed this when I re-imported my coinbase account into my tax tracking software - the vault wallet was not added during the re-import. The tax software now thinks moving my currency to/from the vault were sales (and while I can manually tag them as transfers it gets confused due to a mismatch in value since the vault gained staking rewards)

Hello @fletchto99! Welcome to the Coinbase Cloud Developer’s Forum!

For the details regarding your concern, we will check on this for you with our team. We will get back to you once we have more information. Keep in touch!

3 Likes

Thank you! I’ll keep an eye on this post. Please advise if more details are required.

Hello @fletchto99! As per checking with our team, when a vault has been deleted, the transactions made on that vault cannot be fetched through the API. The only way to check for old transactions is through a browser or an app.

As for your suggested fix, we want to thank you for this. We encourage you to post this in the Feedback Section of the Developer Forum as this is a good recommendation and most new features and improvements to Coinbase come directly from feedback like yours, so it’s very valuable to us.

Additionally, staking rewards will still be active even if the vault is already deleted unless you move the assets from that vault.

We hope we were able to help you. Please don’t hesitate to reach back if you have any other concerns.

1 Like

I see. For tax purposes, wouldn’t it make sense to still be able to query the API to pull these transactions. If not, is there a way to export a CSV of the vault’s transactions after it has been deleted?

Right now, with the vault being deleted, cointracker thinks transfers from my XTZ wallet to the vault were “sales” causing capital gains to be calculated - when this shouldn’t be the case.

Edit: I’ve opened a thread with the share feedback section: [Feature Request] Sign in with Coinbase - API to retrieve TXs for deleted vaults - Thanks for the swift replies!

Hello @fletchto99. Unfortunately, there is no option to export the CSV of vault transaction from browser or app, since vault is associated with the primary account. As a workaround, you may utilize the List Transaction endpoint through API call, and get the transaction list, and then convert the data into CSV manually. However, you can’t get the vault transaction alone separately as it’s a drawback. Thank you!