Using separate webhook endpoints on separate domains within one Coinbase commerce account

Hi there,

I have two domains, and I would like to incorporate Coinbase Commerce in both of them, and use webhooks for status updates. So let’s say I have example.com and example.org, and I have webhook endpoint urls example.com/webhooks.php and example.org/webhooks.php. So two separate systems.

• Is it possible to manage this in one Coinbase Commerce account? I noticed in the dashboard (Settings-Notifications) that I can add multiple webhook endpoints. But I can’t find a way to have the payments on example.com linked to the example.com webhook endpoint, and have payments on example.org linked to the example.org webhook endpoint.
  • If it is not possible to do this in one Coinbase Commerce account, is it allowed to create multiple Coinbase Commerce accounts?

I saw the following page with information Using Webhooks | Coinbase Cloud, but I couldn’t find anything about this issue.

Kind regards,
Jay

Hello @Jay81 ! Thank you for taking an interest in trying out Coinbase APIs. For the details regarding your concern, we will check on this for you with our team. We will get back to you once we have more information. Keep in touch!

Hi @Jay81! Apologies for the delay in our response as we confirm this to our relevant team. Please see the below response for each of your questions:

• Is it possible to manage this in one Coinbase Commerce account? I noticed in the dashboard (Settings-Notifications) that I can add multiple webhook endpoints. But I can’t find a way to have the payments on example.com linked to the example.com webhook endpoint, and have payments on example.org linked to the example.org webhook endpoint.

• Unfortunately, we regret to inform you that it is not possible and that there is no way to direct webhooks with the situation you’ve mentioned.
  • If it is not possible to do this in one Coinbase Commerce account, is it allowed to create multiple Coinbase Commerce accounts?

• Yes. This is supported, but not recommended, since it requires maintaining two separate sets of logins and private keys, and we do not provide any tooling to help consolidate data / finances from multiple accounts.

What we would recommend to you based on the suggestion with our relevant team, depending on how you are configuring your servers to receive Webhooks (on example.org and example.com), you should be able to filter out Webhooks that are irrelevant at that level. In theory, example.org should know which Charge IDs are relevant, and be able to discard Webhook events for Charges that it did not create.

We hope this is helpful. Thank you and have a great day!

Hi there,

Thanks for the reply and the details! And also thanks for the tip on having all the webhooks sent to both domains, and then filtering out the relevant webhooks. I will choose that as the working solution, and then use the metadata fields to determine the domain of origin.

Greets

Hi @Jay81! We are glad that we were able to help with regard to your concern. Please do not hesitate to ask again if you have any other questions. Thank you and have a great day ahead!

unfortunately, this solution does not work. At least it did not last summer / fall when i tried to use Commerce with 4 separate domains under one commerce account. Yes, all webhooks get sent to all domains no matter where the sale happened, the problem is, Commerce looks for a response to these webhooks and after no response (and they retry a lot) they disable your webhook(s) on sites that do not give a response. Naturally, sites that did not make a sale would not respond so my less popular sites who did not have many sales were often getting disabled so i would have to login to Commerce and add it back. A real pain. Commerce would send an email stating something is misconfigured and they were disabling webhooks for a domain. It really became sort of a job babysitting things to keep them active.

I really wish this could all be done though. Paypal handles it no problem, other payment services do as well. Basically we just send the notification URL with each sale, from whatever site is making the sale and then Commerce would only notify that sites billing system, not blast it out to every site configured.

Hi @cryptonut, welcome back to the forum!

With regard to your domains’ webhook subscription getting disabled, we checked 2 test domains that we subscribed to the webhook and they were not disconnected despite having no activity for a while. Can you confirm if you are still experiencing this issue?

For your wish of sending a notification URL with each sale, we will tag this as a feature request with our internal teams so we can continue improving our user experience. Most new features and improvements to our products come directly from feedback like yours, so it’s very valuable to us. While we can’t offer any specific timeline for adding features and improvements, we are constantly working to build products our customers will love.

If you want to stay up to date on the latest from Coinbase Cloud, you can also bookmark the following webpage and subscribe to email updates at the bottom of the page: https://www.coinbase.com/cloud/discover

Thank you!

1 Like

hi, it isnt that webhooks were disabled due to lack of activity. let me explain better.

I had 4 sites, all using the same commerce account with webhook notifications set up to each. Sites A, B, C and D. Site A was the busiest and each site was less busy from there with site D being the least busy.

If I had a sale on Site A, webhook notifications would be blasted out to every site (silly to do but thats how it is). Obviously Site A would respond to them with a success message since that is where the sale happened. Sites B, C and D would ignore them. Commerce would continue to send the notifications to sites B, C and D over several days because they were never acknowledged and why would they be? They werent for sales on those sites.

Keep in mind, this is all for one sale. Multiple sales meant multiple webhooks were being sent at any given time to sites that never had particular sales.

This was not necessarily the issue. The problem came because after X days, when sites b, C and D did not answer the webhooks for sales that werent theirs, I would get an email from Commerce saying something is not configured right, we are disabling webhooks on your site (was completely random on which site it would be, depending on sales). This meant i had to login to commerce and re-add the end points for the websites to make them active again.

I can understand why Commerce did this, from their end, webhooks werent being acknowledged by configured end points (they were ignored like you told the OP to do but it is not a good long term solution). It got to be to much for me though as i was usually getting disabled at the worst times. I also did not want to maintain 4 different commerce accounts either.

Just curious @cryptonut if you were able to resolve your issues here? Are you still using Coinbase commerce?

Unfortunately, no, I had to move on from Commerce because of my mentioned issue above. I did not want to do 4 separate commerce accounts for the limited crypto sales i do and i just could not keep babysitting things to make sure end points stayed active. they were being disabled at the most inconveniencing times (like just after i went to bed or went out and it would be hours before i could get back to my desk to reenable) i still have my account active so i could switch back if needed but have no reason to right now.

this was the only payment processor that does things like this. If you have only one site or dont mind multiple commerce accounts, it is great.