Withdraw api help [confused on fee and payment method]

Hi I am migrating from coinbase pro to advanced trade. I noticed that according to this document Pro API Mapping | Coinbase Cloud, there is no equivalent of Get fee estimate for crypto withdrawal from coinbase pro and for withdraw funds the payment method params does not have crypto?

I looked at Withdraw Funds from Withdrawals | Coinbase Cloud which is the coinbase pro mapping of withdraw. The only parameters I see for Withdraw Funds are amount, currency, payment method, and commit. None of these parameters say anything about fees so is now the fee automatically deducted above withdraw if I withdraw crypto currency? Another question is regarding the payment method I do not see a way to say the payment method is from my advanced trade coinbase account with the crypto currency balance on this page Payment Methods | Coinbase Cloud, unless fiat_account type is what I am looking for.

[Edit] I just found out about Transactions | Coinbase Cloud. Which seems to be able to transfer crypto currency. But yet again there is no field to see the fee of transferring. So do I once again assume that whatever amount I type in the fee is automatically withdrawn from that amount?

Thanks for your time. I would really appreciate if advanced trade had some more documentation.

2 Likes

Hey, I have the same problem. For example I’m doing LTC transactions, so how do I know before doing a transaction how much is transaction fee. Because if you make a transaction with 0.1LTC, then a fee will be added on top of that, so you will transact not 0.1LTC, but 0.10000420LTC (as an example)

1 Like

Hi @erc20fan! We understand that you are migrating from Coinbase Pro to Advanced Trade and with this, we appreciate your continuous support to our Coinbase products. Just to avoid confusion between Advanced Trade API and Sign in with Coinbase, please note that the Advanced Trade API lets you manage orders, products, and fees with our new v3 endpoints. It does not duplicate core Coinbase functions for account deposits, withdrawals, and transactions – for these you need our Sign In with Coinbase API v2 endpoints. With regard to your concerns, we itemized your inquiries and provided a response for each to be able to assist you further:

1. "I noticed that according to this document Pro API Mapping | Coinbase Cloud , there is no equivalent of Get fee estimate for crypto withdrawal from coinbase pro"

• We would like to confirm to you that yes, in the meantime, there is no equivalent endpoint for the Advanced Trade. However, what we can recommend as a workaround is for you to utilize the Withdraw Funds endpoint by calling for a POST request to https://api.coinbase.com/v2/accounts/:account_id/withdrawals. You may set the commit parameter to false so that the withdrawal will not be completed immediately. Through this, you will be able to see the fee associated with your withdrawal. If you would like to push through with the withdrawal, then you may utilize the Commit a Withdrawal endpoint to complete a withdrawal that is in commit: false state.
  2. “for withdraw funds the payment method params does not have crypto?”

• We would like to inform you that the payment method is associated only with fiat currency.
    • Since withdrawing crypto is not something we currently offer as of now, you may use the Place Sell Order endpoint as a workaround. With this endpoint, a user may sell a user-defined amount of any Coinbase supported asset by pushing a POST request to https://api.coinbase.com/v2/accounts/:account_id/sells and specifying the amount and currency, to sell your crypto in exchange for a fiat. You may set the commit parameter into false so that the sell order will not be completed immediately. This way, you can be able to see the fee associated with the sell order. Additionally, to complete a sell that is created in a commit: false state, you may utilize the Commit a Sell endpoint.
  3. “The only parameters I see for Withdraw Funds are amount, currency, payment method, and commit. None of these parameters say anything about fees so is now the fee automatically deducted above withdraw if I withdraw crypto currency?”

• For the Withdraw Funds endpoint, there is really no parameter for its fee. To get the withdrawal fee, you may refer to our response for item #1 for the workaround.
    • The fee will not be automatically deducted when you’ve placed and set the commit parameter to false. Once you utilize the Commit a Withdrawal endpoint for a withdrawal that is in commit: false state, that’s the only time the fee will be deducted.
  4. "Another question is regarding the payment method I do not see a way to say the payment method is from my advanced trade coinbase account with the crypto currency balance on this page Payment Methods | Coinbase Cloud , unless fiat_account type is what I am looking for."

• As mentioned on item #2, the payment method is associated only with fiat currency. Therefore, you may only find fiat_account on this and not the cryptocurrency.
    • You may also see this documentation for the other payment method resource.
  5. "I just found out about Transactions | Coinbase Cloud . Which seems to be able to transfer crypto currency. But yet again there is no field to see the fee of transferring. So do I once again assume that whatever amount I type in the fee is automatically withdrawn from that amount?"

• We’re glad that you were able to find out how to transfer cryptocurrency by using the Transactions endpoint. However, with regard to the fee when sending funds, please note that all fees that Coinbase charges will be disclosed at the time of the user’s transaction and the fee will automatically withdrawn from the account you’ve chosen for sending, this is apart from the amount you entered in the amount parameter. Also, we currently don’t offer an endpoint to get the estimated transaction fee. For more information about the transaction fee, you may read this help article.

Hi @Magahaka! We understand that you also want to know the transaction fee before doing a transaction. For your concern, please see our response above in item #5 with regard to transaction fee. With regard to this, as Coinbase currently doesn’t offer an API endpoint to get the estimated transaction fee, we would like to inform you both that we will log this as a feature request with our internal teams so we can continue improving our user experience. Most new features and improvements to our products come directly from feedback like yours, so it’s very valuable to us. While we can’t offer any specific timeline for adding features, we are constantly working to build products our customers will love.

If you want to stay up to date on the latest from Coinbase Cloud, you can also bookmark the following webpage and subscribe to email updates at the bottom of the page: https://www.coinbase.com/cloud/discover

For the documentation of Advanced Trade API, please be informed that we are still in the process of updating the documentation and rest assured that we are constantly working on it with the best that we can. Thank you for your patience and understanding.

We hope we were able to answer your queries. Please do not hesitate to reply back to this thread if you have any other concerns. Thank you!

2 Likes

Hi @uncle_genie thank you so much for your fast response. Your detailed response to my question is very much appreciated.

Under bullet 5. you stated “please note that all fees that Coinbase charges will be disclosed at the time of the user’s transaction and the fee will automatically withdrawn from the account you’ve chosen for sending”. Say in my account I have 1 ETH. If I wish to withdraw 1 ETH with the Transactions | Coinbase Cloud endpoint does this mean if hypothetically the fee costs 0.05 ETH I can successfully use the Transactions | Coinbase Cloud endpoint with currency = ETH and amount = 1 as the parameters (I would fill in all the other required parameters) and that transaction would go through successfully? At the end I would just receive 0.95 ETH because the fee is automatically withdrawn as 0.05 ETH? Or can I only set 0.95 as my amount in my transaction parameter. If that is the case how would I know the fee without a get fee endpoint?

Once again thank you so much for your detailed reply! Much appreciated.

[EDIT] Just like @Magahaka stated is there any way I can possibly suggest to add the estimate fee feature?

2 Likes

You are very much welcome, @erc20fan!

Regarding your question if the transaction would go through successfully if you wish to withdraw 1 ETH with the Transactions | Coinbase Cloud endpoint with a fee of 0.05 ETH and would receive 0.95 ETH, the answer is YES. Since it will be automatically deducted on the amount you stated in your transaction. You can check this link which includes a video tutorial on how to buy cryptocurrency that also indicates how fees apply to the transactions. Please note that this process is similar when selling cryptocurrency.

In relation to your request to have the estimate fee endpoint added, rest assured that this has been logged with our internal teams and they are already aware of this request. Please note that we can’t offer any specific timeline for adding features.

Similar to @Magahaka, you can also bookmark this webpage and subscribe to email updates at the bottom of the page to stay updated from Coinbase Cloud.

We hope this is helpful, and please let us know if you have any other questions.

Have a great day!

3 Likes

Thanks for the information and the reply!

2 Likes

@Mamoshi27 Your answer is definitely incorrect here.

If the OP has 1 ETH in their account and they enter 1 as the amount to send via the API, it will NOT automatically deduct the hypothetical 0.05 ETH fee and only send them 0.95 ETH.

It will instead display this error message:

You don’t have enough funds in this account for this transaction. Please try again with a smaller amount.

Because the amount entered does not include the fee. The total amount that would be deducted from the account is 1.05 ETH for the cost of sending 1 ETH + the 0.05 ETH fee.

The issue here is that it’s impossible to ever withdraw the full amount of any crypto you have - because you don’t know what the fee would be beforehand, when doing it via the API.

This is one of the primary reasons most arbitrage software haven’t integrated Coinbase Advanced - because it can’t purchase a crypto and then send that full amount to another exchange.

For anyone else experience this issue, here’s how I’ve gotten around it.

You will need to use Sign In With Coinbase API for sending and the Coinbase Pro API for getting the estimated fee.

Coinbase Pro Docs: Get fee estimate for crypto withdrawal | Coinbase Cloud

But WAIT! You should already know Coinbase wouldn’t make it as easy as just deducting the fee from the total to get the amount to send - that’s because their estimate tends to not be entirely accurate - so increase the fee by ~10% before doing the math.

Amount to Send = Total - (Fee + (Fee * 0.1))

@uncle_genie I don’t understand this answer. You say

However, what we can recommend as a workaround is for you to utilize the Withdraw Funds endpoint by calling for a POST request to https://api.coinbase.com/v2/accounts/:account_id/withdrawals. You may set the commit parameter to false so that the withdrawal will not be completed immediately.

However, this wouldn’t work because this would initiate a FIAT withdrawal, not a crypto withdrawal. Therefore, we still cannot get an estimate of the withdrawal fee.

1 Like