Where can I get a passphrase for the API?

Documentation says I should be able to set a passphrase while creating a new API key, but I don’t see any field for doing so. Has there been an update to the API not requiring passphrases?

Hello @acheong87, Thank you for taking an interest in trying out Coinbase APIs. For the details regarding your concern, we will check on this for you with our team. We will get back to you once we have more information. Keep in touch!

2 Likes

I am not sure why they need to check-in on this, but when you create an API key, there is a “Passphrase” field below the “Permissions:”

Note: I am pretty sure there is no passphrase for the Coinbase API, but there is one for the Coinbase Pro/Exchange API (yes, they have two different APIs). This might be the source of the confusion.

3 Likes

Hello @acheong87, when creating a new API key on the Pro website, you will see an option to set a passphrase (see screenshot), you may refer to this link for the step-by-step instructions. If you have done these steps, but still do not have the passphrase, can you give more info or a screenshot of your issue?

2 Likes

Ah! I’m sorry. @Magi was on point—I didn’t realize there were 2 different APIs. I was on plain Coinbase instead of Pro. Thank you!