Websocket level_2 authentication?

I am a little confused on weather or not I need to authenticate to use the Level_2 Websocket feed?

In the overview it states:

To subscribe to any channel, users must provide a channel name, api_key , timestamp , and signature

In the Best Practices section it says:

• WebSocket clients should authenticate to help troubleshoot issues if necessary. Authenticating is optional and does not impact web socket performance.

When I try to subscribe to the Level_2 websocket I get : Authentication Failed.

Could you please confirm if I need to authenticate for all websockets or not?

Thanks, Joe

Hello @beamsjr! Thank you for taking an interest in trying out Coinbase APIs. For the details regarding your concern, we will check on this for you with our team. We will get back to you once we have more information. Keep in touch!

1 Like

Hey Idk if you ever got this cleared up, but that bit that you posted from the docs is from the Pro/Exchange docs. Not sure if it did at the time, but it doesn’t currently state that in the Advanced Trade docs. Advanced trade requires authentication for all channels.

Hi @beamsjr! Thank you for raising this concern. We really appreciate you pointing out this detail to us. This has been raised with the internal teams and necessary documentation update is done. Please be assured that we are hard at work on building the API for Advanced Trade. As of now, contradicting information from the Overview and the Best Practices Section has been eliminated.

To answer your question, if you need to authenticate for all websockets, as mentioned in this documentation, to subscribe to any channel, users must provide a channel name , api_key, timestamp , and signature .

We hope this is helpful, and please let us know if you have any other questions. Have a good day!

1 Like