Unable to successfully convert crypto to another crypto

I’m trying to convert cryptos but I keep getting this message in the response:
{code=400, message=“Cannot convert BTC to ETH”}
I’ve been playing around with it for awhile and know all the parameters and API keys are correct because error messages for API keys and wrong coin tickers were returned first and now that those aren’t happening this cannot convert one is the only error messaging I’m getting. I am quite confused as to why it’s not able to convert. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

You can’t do a conversion unless their values are linked, such as USDC-USD. What you are looking to do is a market buy of some type, I would suggest a limit order as you can specify price options.

2 Likes

that makes sense thanks for the explanation

No problem happy to help

1 Like

@cleggink to the rescue again! Thank you!!

2 Likes

No problem @arood, gives me something to keep my mind occupied with while I’m in the gym. Seriously thou, it seems like you need some help here. Any way you’re interested in hiring?

They are always hiring, they have over 2100 employees and are very stringent in hiring. They have many great philosophies they implement within the company. A couple of them are: trying to only hire the best, and to have every hire better than the last. The amount of tasks at hand over at Coinbase are through the roof. I was wondering of all the positions they have how many are in-house versus remote? If you need something to think about at the gym think about what the different candle stick shapes say in relation to the market. Watching candles is probably half of what people do on exchanges besides trading.

Hey @arood hope all is good, would you know if there is any api for swapping crypto to fiat mainly just usdc => usd outside of the commerce api scope?

any feedback would be appreciated thanks!

You can use api for different dexs to do the swapping. I know you can swap USD and USDT on UniSwap.

1 Like

@ds10.2 - Checking on this for you. Thanks for reaching out!

1 Like

The /conversions endpoint will work just fine on USDC-USD from what i can tell

@ds10.2 - @cleggink is on point (per usual) - while you have not specified the endpoint, if you are using Convert currency then its USD - USDC only. For any other currency, its an order and not a conversion.

1 Like

And now i look like the teachers pet, :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Sorry to beat a dead horse but just to be clear - you can convert currency to currency on regular coinbase.com, but not on coinbase pro api?

That is correct. You can’t automate what you are looking for. I’m going down that same road. It’s possible but exetemely rare and not that lucrative tbh.

Steps to Convert cryptocurrency-
On a web browser

1. Sign in to your Coinbase account.

2. At the top, click Buy / Sell > Convert .

3. There will be a panel with the option to convert one cryptocurrency to another.

4. Enter the cash amount of cryptocurrency you would like to convert in your local currency. For example, $10 worth of BTC to convert into XRP.

5. Click Preview Convert .

6. Confirm the conversion transaction.

On the Coinbase mobile app

1. Tap Convert more.

2. From the panel, select the crypto you’d like to convert to another crypto.

3. Enter the cash amount of crypto you would like to convert in your local currency. For example, $10 worth of BTC to convert into XRP.

4. Select Preview convert . (If you do not have enough crypto to complete the transaction, you will not be able to complete this transaction.)

5. Confirm the conversion transaction.

Greeting,
Rachel Gomez

Can you explain what “linked” means? Convert only works on USDC and USD pairs? Can you provide an example of a working conversion?

Hi @xprocoinpay , welcome to the forum!
The “linked” means USD Coin is backed by a US Dollar. Currently, yes, when using this API endpoint “https://api.exchange.coinbase.com/conversions”, it only supports USDC - USD pair.

Here’s a sample 200 response:

{
  "id": "c5aaf125-d99e-41fe-82ea-ad068038b278",
  "amount": "11.00000000",
  "from_account_id": "5dcc143c-fb96-4f72-aebf-a165e3d29b53",
  "to_account_id": "6100247f-90fc-4335-ac17-d99839f0c909",
  "from": "USDC",
  "to": "USD"
}

You may check the endpoint Get a conversion from the Exchange/Pro API Reference. Thanks!

2 Likes

Thank you. Would be amazing if this simple API worked for all coinbase pairs would save a lot of coding. Do you know how to execute a conversion using market order? example would be great.

Hopefully all the users on this thread will request this feature in the suggestions board! We did yesterday, folks please help out here.

Hello @xprocoinpay! Thank you for the feedback, we really appreciate this. We would like to recommend that you post this in the Feedback Section of the Forum as most new features and improvements to Coinbase come directly from feedback like yours, so it’s very valuable to us. With regards to your question, you can refer to this documentation to execute an order. Just make sure to specify the type as market order. Thanks!