When creating a new API there’s no attached secret API, What am i doing wrong?
Hi @Treb2579 ,
Welcome to the Forum & We’re happy to help! We understand that you are having an issue with API Secret not showing, rest assured that we will help you with this. We’ve tried creating an API Key on our end and we were able to see the API Secret, so this issue might be occurring to some users only. Please keep in mind that Coinbase will never have access to your API details, this means that Coinbase cannot regenerate any of your API details including your API Secret.
Please note that you will not be able to view your API Secret on your created API Key, it is only during the API Key creation process that you will be able to see its corresponding API Secret. Therefore, we recommend you to create a new API Key on the API settings of your Coinbase account. After choosing the desired Wallets and Permissions for your API Key, click the "Create " button, you will be prompted with your API Secret. We highly recommend that you take note of these credentials and store them in a safe place. Again, you cannot view your API Secret by clicking ‘Show ’ once the pop-up window has already been shown.
If creating a new API Key did not show the API Secret, we recommend that you first rule out the options below.
If you are trying to generate an API Key on a device that is newly verified, we recommend that you also try logging in to your Coinbase account after 48 hours.
- When logging in to your Coinbase account, you may receive an email from Coinbase with the subject of “New Device Confirmation” - please check your spam and trash folders in case the email was routed there.
- If you do receive this email, please click on the button for “I Authorize This Computer”.
- Try to create an API key again.
If you are experiencing this issue on a desktop computer, please:
- Update your browser to the latest version.
- Try reproducing the issue in incognito mode.
- Clear your browser’s cache and restart your browser.
- Test if the issue still occurs on a different browser (we recommend Google Chrome).
- Try signing out of, then back into, Coinbase.
If you are experiencing this issue via the mobile web, a tablet, or a Windows phone:
- Coinbase is not optimised for these platforms. Please use the desktop website or an iOS/Android smartphone.
To rule out an issue with your network:
- Can you test if the issue can be reproduced on a different internet connection? (eg: at home, or at work)
- If you’re still having trouble after this, respond to this email with the following information:
- Have you completed the device verification?
- Can you confirm if you created the API key on devices that have completed device verification more than 48 hours ago? You can check this by looking under the “Confirmed Devices” heading under https://www.coinbase.com/settings/account_activity - it shows you the browser, OS, IP address and time since you first used that device to access your Coinbase account.
- Please take a screen recording of your web browser including the “Network” tab of the Chrome web browser (can be accessed at View > Developer > Developer Tools > Network) as you recreate the issue upon creating the API Key.
Note : If you use your Macbook then you can utilize QuickTime or in Windows go to Xbox Game Bar by pressing Window Logo Key + G to record your screen as you recreate the error. This may show some useful details such as HTTP responses that would help us investigate your case further.
Additionally, for security reasons, Coinbase requires a 48-hour wait period on the API key created on a new device. This is part of our layered security features to protect customer digital assets.
We hope this helps. Have a great day ahead.
I tried doing it in google chrome and then in firefox, and to no avail. But I saw you said to try in incognito, so I did it in Chrome incognito and it finally showed the API secret. thank you