Performance measure with Curl (get accounts endpoint)

Hello, I tried to connect to the CB Advanced Trading API using C++ and libcurl, I noticed that the performance were not as expected so I made a test with curl itself:
bash-3.2$ curl https://coinbase.com/api/v3/brokerage/accounts \

-w " time_namelookup: %{time_namelookup}\n time_connect: %{time_connect}\n time_appconnect: %{time_appconnect}\n time_pretransfer: %{time_pretransfer}\n time_starttransfer: %{time_starttransfer}\n time_total: %{time_total}\n"
-o /dev/null
-H “CB-ACCESS-KEY: XXXXX”
-H “CB-ACCESS-TIMESTAMP: 1670146235”
-H “CB-ACCESS-SIGN:XXXXX”
-H “Accept-encoding: gzip”
% Total % Received % Xferd Average Speed Time Time Time Current
Dload Upload Total Spent Left Speed
100 2823 0 2823 0 0 11324 0 --:–:-- --:–:-- --:–:-- 11961
time_namelookup: 0.016961
time_connect: 0.036598
time_appconnect: 0.069201
time_pretransfer: 0.069352
time_starttransfer: 0.247953
time_total: 0.249292

It seems that the time between the end of the SSL handshake and the first byte to arrive is 0,178601 seconds, which seems to be a lot; multiple tests are consistent with this value.

Is there anything I miss or is that the expected performance?

TIA!

Hi @amcalabretta! Thank you for taking an interest in trying out Coinbase APIs. For the details regarding your inquiry, we will check on this for you with our team to see how we can best assist. We’ll get back to you once we have more information. Keep in touch!

2 Likes

Well, in javascript, if I time the function I use to make the call like this:

const t0 = performance.now();

await cbClients[userID].getAccounts()

const t1 = performance.now();

console.log(`took ${(t1 - t0) / 1000} seconds`);

it takes on average 0.175 seconds for the whole thing. That’s starting at no connection at all and includes making the signature and everything. Also I’m on Starlink, so most things are ~50 milliseconds longer than most land-based ISPs.

Screen Shot 2022-12-04 at 9.03.20 PM

So yeah, I’d say that seems a bit slow. Couldn’t tell you why though

Thanks, I find comforting that is consistent.