Need help with debugging http request

Hello. I am trying to make a market order for BTC with the API. Here is my code:

import requests
import hmac
import hashlib
import time
import base64
import json

timestamp = str(int(time.time())) 
endpoint = "https://api.coinbase.com/api/v3/brokerage/orders"

payload = json.dumps({
    "product_id": "BTC-USD",
    "side": "BUY",
    "order_configuration": {
        "market_market_ioc": {
            "quote_size": "5"
        }
    }
})

message = timestamp + 'POST' + endpoint + payload
signature = hmac.new(API_SEC.encode('utf-8'), message.encode('utf-8'), digestmod=hashlib.sha256).digest()
# signature = base64.b64encode(signature).decode()

headers = {
    'Content-Type': 'application/json',
    'CB-ACCESS-KEY': API,
    'CB-ACCESS-SIGN': signature,
    'CB-ACCESS-TIMESTAMP': timestamp
}

response = requests.post(endpoint, json=payload, headers=headers)

print(response.status_code)
print(response.content)
print(response.headers)

If I run the current code, this is my result:

b’400 Bad Request: invalid header value’
{‘Date’: ‘Tue, 24 Jan 2023 07:53:25 GMT’, ‘Content-Type’: ‘text/plain; charset=utf-8’, ‘Transfer-Encoding’: ‘chunked’, ‘Connection’: ‘keep-alive’, ‘CF-Cache-Status’: ‘DYNAMIC’, ‘Set-Cookie’: ‘__cf_bm=_GGIW62ebBAu939VVwicyWT0M_8sPfoghaXk3r5uYUs-1674546805-0-AdndUKReGTXdTQ7qbIwRjJZaMOaBRYg4biNvTfaoaDckcbdKmt2Zt6sY1pgF7hkHnM+HqjMRC+95EoK4DopbVCY=; path=/; expires=Tue, 24-Jan-23 08:23:25 GMT; domain=.coinbase.com; HttpOnly; Secure; SameSite=None’, ‘Strict-Transport-Security’: ‘max-age=31536000; includeSubDomains; preload’, ‘X-Content-Type-Options’: ‘nosniff’, ‘Server’: ‘cloudflare’, ‘CF-RAY’: ‘78e731fff890db59-LAX’}

If I comment out the second signature line I get this:

b’Unauthorized\n’
{‘Date’: ‘Tue, 24 Jan 2023 07:54:22 GMT’, ‘Content-Type’: ‘text/plain; charset=utf-8’, ‘Content-Length’: ‘13’, ‘Connection’: ‘keep-alive’, ‘Trace-Id’: ‘7219881873981354341’, ‘X-Content-Type-Options’: ‘nosniff’, ‘CF-Cache-Status’: ‘DYNAMIC’, ‘Set-Cookie’: ‘__cf_bm=n1NNwweGqk1Ab6CIs53v3v0SN6fhG162JNc4jxHQQPc-1674546862-0-AQ4+fdboYy8HN2tPIyUsnXQ8sIqHJJEAzYwX8gS8enZ3n3Iiay8nuX8q9Zr9uS+si/voIN/+gA4+SoQFychDOyo=; path=/; expires=Tue, 24-Jan-23 08:24:22 GMT; domain=.coinbase.com; HttpOnly; Secure; SameSite=None’, ‘Strict-Transport-Security’: ‘max-age=31536000; includeSubDomains; preload’, ‘Server’: ‘cloudflare’, ‘CF-RAY’: ‘78e733600b092ec6-LAX’}

Any help will be much appreciated! Thank you!

Welcome to the Coinbase Cloud Developer Forum, @yefimg! We are always happy to help.

Upon checking the code snippet you provided, it looks like you were missing the client_order_id parameter which is a required parameter when placing an order. We suggest that you try running your code again, but this time, include the parameter client_order_id (unique uuid for this order ).

In addition to this, you may check this forum post which could be helpful with your case scenario. We highly suggest that you try looking into this for reference.

Please reply back to us if the issue still persists. Thank you and have a great day!

1 Like

Hi @uncle_genie! I added the client_order_id parameter, however I still am having problems. I looked at the other post you referenced, even copied and pasted all of it and switched out API info, but got a different SSL error. Here is my revised code with client_order_id:

import requests
import hmac
import hashlib
import time
import base64
import json
import uuid
import numpy as np

timestamp = str(int(time.time()))
endpoint = "https://api.coinbase.com/api/v3/brokerage/orders"
original_uuid = uuid.uuid4()
json_uuid = json.dumps(str(original_uuid))

payload = json.dumps({
  "product_id": "BTC-USD",
  "side": "BUY",
  "order_configuration": {
    "market_market_ioc": {
      "quote_size": "5"
    }
  },
  "client_order_id": json_uuid
})

message = timestamp + 'POST' + endpoint + payload
signature = hmac.new(API_SEC.encode('utf-8'), message.encode('utf-8'), digestmod=hashlib.sha256).digest()
# signature = base64.b64encode(signature).decode()

headers = {
    'Content-Type': 'application/json',
    'CB-ACCESS-KEY': API,
    'CB-ACCESS-SIGN': signature,
    'CB-ACCESS-TIMESTAMP': timestamp
}

response = requests.post(endpoint, json=payload, headers=headers)

print(response.status_code)
print(response.content)
print(response.headers)

Hi @yefimg! Thank you so much for the information you have provided and for waiting while we look into this. With regard to your concern, we appreciate it if you adjust your code that establishes a connection similar to the below example and see if it works for you:

import http.client
import json

conn = http.client.HTTPSConnection(“api.coinbase.com”)
payload = ‘’
headers = {
‘Content-Type’: ‘application/json’
}
conn.request(“POST”, “/api/v3/brokerage/orders”, payload, headers)
res = conn.getresponse()
data = res.read()
print(data.decode(“utf-8”))

Additionally, you can further add the necessary body parameters and tune it according to the request.

We hope this is helpful. Please do not hesitate to reply on this thread if the issue still persists.