Hi Team, I have run into a problem using Coinbase Commerce and Coinbase Pro in conjunction, where the only supported USDC trading pair currently is USDT-USDC.
If a user overpays on a Coinbase Commerce charge and we need to send them a refund, the only way to do it is manually through the Coinbase Commerce platform… but it only allows a full refund, not just the overpaid amount.
So, we need to transfer the payment to Coinbase Pro and make a withdrawal to the user’s provided address. If they don’t want their refund in USDC, we need to make a trade, but if they don’t want USDT either, we need to convert to USD, then make the trade as USD has a market pair for all supported Coinbase Commerce currencies.
But, I have an Australian account, so USD is disabled for me.
So ultimately to refund our user’s, I need to make the following trades:
- USDC: None ~ fee 0%
- USDT: USDC > USDT ~ fee 0.6%
- BTC: USDC > USDT > BTC ~ fee 1.2%
- BCH: USDC > USDT > BTC > BCH ~ fee 1.79%
- LTC: USDC > USDT > BTC > LTC ~ fee 1.79%
- ETH: USDC > USDT > ETH ~ fee 1.2%
- DAI: USDC > USDT > ETH > DAI ~ fee 1.79%
- APE: USDC > USDT > APE ~ fee 1.2%
- DOGE: USDC > USDT > DOGE ~ fee 1.2%
- SHIB: USDC > USDT > SHIB ~ fee 1.2%
Clearly this is not ideal. Can you please add support for every Coinbase Commerce currency as a trading pair against USDC, so that Coinbase Commerce and Coinbase Pro can work together? Or better yet, add an API endpoint for making refunds from Coinbase Commerce with an amount field so that we can refund any amount we choose?
Hello @Tradable! Thank you for taking an interest in trying out Coinbase APIs. For the details regarding your concern, we will check on this for you with our team. We will get back to you once we have more information. Keep in touch!
Hi @BeardMan, any updates?
Hi @BeardMan, do you have more information yet?
Hi @Tradable! Thank you so much for your patience. Coinbase Pro is deprecated and no longer supports USDC order books. On Self-managed Commerce, the merchant can withdraw the overpaid amount directly to the user’s wallet address. Please refer to these steps on How to issue a partial refund in the event that the merchant needs to refund an overpaid charge. We hope this helps!
Hi @Anonymouse, thank you for your response. Unfortunately as far as I’m aware, self-managed Commerce accounts aren’t available to us Australian customers yet. Regardless, we are only interested in creating an automated overpayment refund flow using the API, not manually doing it on the Commerce console.
Now that Coinbase Pro is depreciated for Coinbase with Advanced Trades, the api.exchange.coinbase.com API would be replaced with api.coinbase.com API?
Can you please point me to the documentation to make withdrawals to a cryptocurrency wallet with this API, and also to the WebSocket API for Coinbase to listen to the user’s balances and orders?
It looks like the WebSocket API for Coinbase Advanced Trades only provides user orders? Please provide our feedback that we really need user balances urgently to be able to continue to support Coinbase on our platform.
I can’t see any way to deposit/withdraw crypto to/from Coinbase, on the platform or the APIs. Please let me know how to do so, as that can’t be right, on a crypto exchange?
Hello @Tradable! We want to clear things up first. API keys created on Coinbase can be used in both Sign in with Coinbase 2 and Advance Trade API. The main difference is that SIWC API is focused on account integration while Advance Trade API is for trading capabilities. Now, to answer your inquiries, please see below:
- “Can you please point me to the documentation to make withdrawals to a cryptocurrency wallet with this API?/I can’t see any way to deposit/withdraw crypto to/from Coinbase.” - It is called out in Advance Trade API documentation 2 that if you want to use these Coinbase functionalities, you should use SIWC API endpoints.
- “It looks like the WebSocket API for Coinbase Advanced Trades only provides user orders? Please provide our feedback that we really need user balances urgently to be able to continue to support Coinbase on our platform.”- We appreciate your feedback and feature requests regarding this. Coinbase is currently building REST and Websocket protocols on Advanced Trade so that customers can use Advanced Trade under one unified Coinbase account. However, the team is still hard at work on this and can’t offer any specific timeline for the features you’ve mentioned. If you have any other feedback or requests, feel free to post them in the Feedback Section of the Developer Forum.
We hope we’re able to help. Thank you!
Hi @jewel-ssi, thanks for your response.
The Deposits and Withdrawals links you provided seem to be for transfers for payment methods other than cryptocurrency addresses (such as banks). How do we make deposits/withdrawals to/from Coinbase using “cryptocurrency addresses” (aka over blockchain).
Thanks for putting forward my feature requests to the team, we hope to be able to support Coinbase on our platform again in the future… it’s a shame Coinbase Pro was depreciated when there was still a need for it that isn’t being filled by Coinbase with Advanced Trades. Seems premature.
Hello @Tradable! Thank you for the clarification. However, as of now, our API does not support deposits and withdrawals on-chain. Please know that we continue building and improving features that you, our customers will love. You may post this in our Feedback Section as well. While we can’t offer any specific timeline, we are doing the best we can.
We understand your frustration with the latest transitions. Nevertheless, we truly appreciate your endless support. We’ll continue to improve to give you better service.