List all tradable symbols?

Hey team,

We’re looking for an API endpoint that will allow us to fetch for all tradable coins supported through “Sign in with Coinbase” API.

I know that there’s this page, but we’re looking for something we can call via API; I’ve been poking around the documentation, but unfortunately I haven’t had any luck finding what we need.

Can you help point us in the right direction?

Thank you in advance!
Ian

I was just testing out the /v2/accounts endpoint (using an OAuth2 access token with account=all permissions) and noticed that this returns an “account” dictionary for each currency. Would this be a valid way to fetch all supported/tradable coins (where account type = “wallet”)?

Hi @ian-ridian! Thank you for taking an interest in trying out Coinbase APIs. For the details regarding your inquiries, we will check on this for you with our team to see how we can best assist. We’ll get back to you once we have more information. Keep in touch!

2 Likes

Hello @ian-ridian, as of this moment, Sign in with Coinbase does not have an API that can fetch all tradable coins supported by Sign in With Coinbase. Therefore, we would like to recommend that you post this in the Feedback Section of the Forum as most new features and improvements to Coinbase come directly from feedback like yours, so it’s very valuable to us.

With regards to your second inquiry in which you asked if the accounts endpoint (with account=all permission) would be a valid way to fetch all supported/tradable coins, unfortunately, this is not a suitable option since this permission allows your application to get access to all of user’s wallets. It will not return all the supported and tradable coins of Coinbase.

We hope we were able to help you. Thank you!

3 Likes

Thank you @Faker! Does Coinbase have any other open APIs that support this functionality?

Hi @ian-ridian! First of all, thank you for posting this in our feedback section of the Forum. It would be useful in terms of improving and adding features to Coinbase.

Regarding your concern if there are any other open APIs that can fetch all tradable coins. Unfortunately, there is none as of this moment. What we can do about it is to log the concern in the feedback section of the forum which you have done already. For now, we cannot provide ETA on when this feature will be available but Coinbase is hard at work to provide you with the best features.

We appreciate you and have a nice day!

1 Like

Thank you for confirming, @bazinga!

@bazinga, I just found this public endpoint: https://api.exchange.coinbase.com/products

Would this be a good way to get all Coinbase’s tradable assets? Thank you for your help and patience with me, I’m new to the crypto space :smiley:

1 Like

Hi @ian-ridian!

To clarify things out, Coinbase Exchange/Pro and Sign in with Coinbase are two different APIs that Coinbase has to offer.

This means that the public endpoint you just found out only returns the list of available currency pairs for trading on Coinbase Exchange/Pro but not all the tradable coins on Sign in with Coinbase which you were looking for.

If you plan to use Coinbase Exchange/Pro, you may explore here.

Thank you!

2 Likes

Ah I see, thank you clarifying that @bazinga!

Is there any resources you can share that shows the difference between Coinbase’s supported tradable coins on Coinbase Exchange/Pro vs Sign in with Coinbase?

Hello @ian-ridian. Hope you’re doing good!

In order to check the Supported and Tradable assets for both Sign in with Coinbase and Coinbase Exchange/Pro, go to www.coinbase.com/explore, and scroll down to Crypto prices. The All assets tab signifies all of the Coinbase supported cryptocurrencies, while the Tradable tab lists all the assets that you can buy/sell via Sign in with Coinbase, or trade via Coinbase Pro/Exchange. If the asset is on this list, it is tradable on Coinbase. If it is unavailable, it will not appear.

Additionally, you may wonder why you are seeing cryptocurrencies that aren’t supported by Coinbase. This is because information for cryptocurrencies not available for trade on Coinbase is provided for educational purposes and doesn’t indicate that Coinbase will support any specific cryptocurrency in the future.

Moreover, assets can be traded for fiat currency (USD, EUR, etc.) or some cryptocurrencies (USDT, BTC, etc.). Coinbase Exchange/Pro shows Trading Pairs for all supported assets for Sign in with Coinbase and Coinbase Exchange/Pro. To check this, you may go to Coinbase Pro | Digital Asset Exchange, and click Select Market in the top-left corner. You may opt to click the All tab below the search bar to see all the trading pairs for that cryptocurrency, or type the desired crypto into the search bar. You may also utilize the /products endpoint to list all tradable assets/pairs in Coinbase Exchange/Pro, which you mentioned in your previous response.

On the other hand, if you want to extract a list of currently supported currencies (both fiat and crypto) via the API, we believe you can utilize the /currencies endpoint of Coinbase Pro/Exchange. You may do this by pushing a GET request to https://api.exchange.coinbase.com/currencies or https://api.pro.coinbase.com/currencies. However, this endpoint only returns the list of currently supported currencies, but not necessarily the list of all the tradable assets. Please note that this is a public endpoint, and does not require authentication. You may simply type in the request URL into your browser. You may check this documentation site for more details: Get all known currencies

We hope we were able to help you. Thank you! :grinning:

2 Likes

Thank you so much @LaRisa! This is really helpful!

I think I am all set for now! I did some testing and confirmed that all unique symbols from the /products endpoint is consistent with supported coins for Sign in with Coinbase.

What I ended up testing:

1 Like

Hello @ian-ridian, we are glad that you are now set and we are thankful for sharing the results of your testing.

Thank you and have a nice day!

2 Likes