Level 1 orderbook

Hi!
I am interested in whether it is possible to subscribe to a level 1 orderbook, where I will get updates on best bid and ask prices?
As I can see ticker channel subscription is not giving me all relevant updates of best ask and bids prices.
For example, this subscription:

{“type”:“subscribe”, “channels”: [“ticker”],“product_ids”: [“ETH-USDT”] }

gives me updates only each 30 seconds. This is too slow.
Using this request

https://api.exchange.coinbase.com/products/ETH-USDT/book

I saw that ticker channel doesn’t provides me up-to-date info about best bid and ask prices

In addition I would like to say that the level2 channel does not suit me because it gives me too many entries in the snapshot and updates on them.

1 Like

Hi @Garbuzyaga! Welcome to the forum!

The L2 channel is the best way to pull the best bid and ask as it is a real-time websocket feed that gives you a snapshot of an order book and subsequent updates to the order book, you may refer here.

Also, as stated in the documentation, the ticker channel provides real-time price updates every time a match happens and not just in every 30 seconds. You may check it here: Channels

We hope this helps. Thank you!

1 Like

Hi @bazinga! Thank you for your answer.

Are there any plans to develop a functionality to subscribe to the orderbook with the length in the subscription parameters, which will be responsible for the number of price points?
Since now you get a lot of garbage when you subscribe.
For example ask for 1ETH = 300000USDT or bid for 1BTC = 1USDT

1 Like

I agree with Garbuzyaga.

Please add an orderbook updates channel like level2, but the user can define the depth (or a set of hardcoded depths), while coinbase makes sure to send the updates accordingly, so after the user sorts the updates in, he will always have the desired depth.
This way the internet traffic is also massively reduced, while still having realtime updates.

Nearly all other exchanges offer this already, eg. Kraken, bitpanda, Bitfinex and poloniex.

Hello @Serpens66 and @Garbuzyaga! We appreciate you for bringing your concern to our attention. We would appreciate it if you can share this in the Feedback Section of the Forum as most new features and improvements to Coinbase come directly from feedback like yours, so it’s very valuable to us. Thank you!

2 Likes