Is it possible to supply a native currency (USD) value when sending transactions with sign-in-with-coinbase?

Hi, I’m wondering if it’s possible to supply a USD value when sending cryptocurrencies using the wallet API endpoints?

Right now, we are having to first fetch the current exchange rate of that given cryptocurrency & then using that to calculate how much we want to send in a given crypto. This both adds another request, as well as some more complexity, however small. Is there any way to instead pass in the native currency (being USD for the account I’m sending from), and then Coinbase converts that to the cryptocurrency I am sending?

I appreciate any help on this!

Hi @chrillex1! Thank you for your interest in using the Coinbase Cloud APIs. Regarding your concern, when sending funds to a network address for any Coinbase supported asset there is currently no way to pass in a native currency (e.g. USD), and then for it to be automatically converted to the chosen cryptocurrency. It is currently just crypto to crypto, not fiat to crypto when doing Send Money transactions. But rest assured, we’ve logged this as a feedback or feature request. Most new features and improvements to Coinbase products come directly from feedback like yours, so it’s very valuable to them. While Coinbase can’t offer any specific timeline for adding features, they are constantly working to build products that their customers will love.

If you want to stay up to date on the latest from Coinbase Cloud, you can also bookmark the following webpage and subscribe to email updates at the bottom of the page: https://www.coinbase.com/cloud/discover

Thank you!

3 Likes