Creating accounts for currencies the user doesn't own

Is it possible to create and account for OAuth users that don’t own a given currency/token?

For instance, I’m trying to send WETH from another wallet (non-coinbase) to a coinbase user, and when I make a GET request to https://api.coinbase.com/v2/accountsthere is no WETH account for the user so I can’t retrieve/create a receive address for it.

I also tried sending the WETH to the user’s ETH address and although the transaction went through, it doesn’t show up on the user’s assets on the app.

Any idea how to solve this?

Hello @antoniofrancisco ! Thank you for taking an interest in trying out Coinbase APIs. For the details regarding your concern, we will check on this for you with our team. We will get back to you once we have more information. Keep in touch!

2 Likes

Hi @antoniofrancisco ! Yes, it is possible to create an account for OAuth users that don’t own a given currency/token. However, please note that Coinbase only supports specific assets.

You mentioned that you tried to send WETH from another wallet to a Coinbase user using our /accounts endpoint. Unfortunately, WETH is not supported by Coinbase. This is why you cannot generate an address for it. It is also the reason why it doesn’t show up on the user’s assets on the app even though the transaction went through.

Transferring crypto to a wallet on a network that Coinbase does not currently support will result in your funds being lost and there will be no way to recover them. To find Coinbase supported assets, you may go to https://www.coinbase.com/explore.

Also, it is important to note that you are seeing cryptocurrencies that aren’t supported by Coinbase because they provide market information, descriptions, historic trading data, and links to relevant white papers and project websites for certain cryptocurrencies, determined by current market cap. A subset of those assets can be traded on Coinbase. Information for cryptocurrencies not available for trade on Coinbase is provided for educational purposes and doesn’t indicate that Coinbase will support any specific cryptocurrency in the future.

We hope this helps. If you have further questions, please let us know.

2 Likes