Commission free conversion from USDC to USD via an API

Is there an API that lets me convert (commission-free) USDC to USD via an API call? I’d like to do this so I can use *-USD trading pairs.

Thanks in advance!

Hello @jim-reitz! Welcome to the Coinbase Developer Forum! We appreciate your interest in our Coinbase APIs. With regard to your inquiry of converting USDC to USD commission-free via an API call, we are glad to introduce to you one of our products, Coinbase Exchange. It is a specialized Coinbase product that is intended for institutional traders and investors. We specifically mentioned this since USD and USD Coin (USDC) is now unified in Coinbase Exchange. This means that you can trade USD and USDC on Coinbase’s USD markets, deposit USD and USDC to your USD account on a one-to-one basis, and withdraw your USD and USDC balance as USD cash or USDC on any supported network. To know more, you may visit this Help Center site.

You may also opt for an experience where USD and USDC aren’t unified. This option comes with a benefit of depositing and withdrawing directly from your USDC account, with free conversion between USD and USDC via UI and API using this link.

Note: Users whose USD and USDC accounts are unified do not have access to the conversion endpoint, and conversions from USDC to USD are automatic upon deposit.

If you wish not to choose Coinbase Exchange, we can also introduce you to our Advanced Trade API. However, we would like to inform you that there is no direct way in the Advanced Trade API to convert crypto into fiat. Instead, you may utilize the Create Orders endpoint:

• By placing a buy order using the Create Order endpoint, you may trade crypto (USDC) to fiat (USD) or other product_id.

It is important to note that placing a buy order is subject to fees. You may visit this Help Center for more information about Advanced Trade fees.

We also moved your post to the Coinbase Exchange category from General, since it is the most suitable category for your concern.

We hope we were able to provide answers to your query. Thank you and again, welcome to the community!

1 Like

Unfortunately, This is for my personal Coinbase account (i.e., not an institution). So, I appreciate the information but it doesn’t help with my stated goal.

1 Like

Hi @jim-reitz! We understand that you are using a personal Coinbase account.

We currently do not have an API endpoint to convert USDC to USD that is that is free of commission fee for individual traders. Rest assured that we’ve logged this as a feedback with our internal teams so we can continue improving our user experience. Most new features and improvements to our products come directly from feedback like yours, so it’s very valuable to us. While we can’t offer any specific timeline for this, we are constantly working to build products our customers will love.

If you want to stay up to date on the latest from Coinbase Cloud, you can also bookmark the following webpage and subscribe to email updates at the bottom of the page: https://www.coinbase.com/cloud/discover

We appreciate your patience and understanding.

1 Like