API does not support ETH address creation without an existing wallet

We are having an issue about the user not been able to onboard onto our dApp because it doesn’t have any ETH Wallet created yet, it’s blocker because we do need the ETH address to store for further exchanges, and also, most of the time, they are getting introduced to web3 for the first time. Sign with coinbase does not have a CRUD for extending an account creation when the user doesn’t own yet an ETH wallet. I looked at Prime Broker API which is possible for creating a new wallet with a different Wallet Type, but at least in my understanding, the audience for this API is for who are managing their own accounts right? our could we call Prime Broker API for new Wallet creation using Sign with coinbase? I don’t think this would be correct, but at least the Sign with coinbase itself could have a feature of automatically creating new wallet when trying to creating new address when the account for this address doesn’t exists yet.

Hi @snk-js. Welcome to the forum! Thank you for taking interest in our Coinbase APIs. For the details regarding your concern, we will check on this for you with our team. We will get back to you once we have more information. Keep in touch!

2 Likes

Hi @snk-js, we apologize for the delayed response. We hope you were able to resolve this problem during the time we were looking for an answer to your query.

If you still haven’t resolved your issue, we’d like to tell you that there is a new endpoint for Sign in With Coinbase. 22 days ago, the documentation site was updated to reflect the endpoint to create a new wallet.

To utilize the endpoint, just push a GET request for the accounts endpoint specifying the wallet you want to create. For example, if you want to create an ETH wallet, push a GET request to https://api.coinbase.com/v2/accounts/ETH

We appreciate your patience and understanding. Thank you so much!

2 Likes